Tuesday, September 6, 2016

Ruptured Achilles Tendon

Please don't be thrown off by the dates...  This post has been sitting a word doc for quite some time.   In the next few posts, I am going to try and "catch-up" to the current week.  


July 1, 2016
It is hard to put into words the week that I had been having.  My husband was off to Nicaragua for 10 days. I had picked up extra classes at the gym trying to earn some extra vacation money and signed the kids up for swimming lessons.  I also had to pack for our family of 5 to leave on vacation.  It was the 3 kids, 2 dogs, a garden to tend, and myself.  
Journal entries from the week:
6/25:  so thankful for my dad helping me pick peas at 6:30 am before I had to leave for work
6/28: “be strong in the Lord” is in the passive tense – strength is something God gives you
My To-Do list from that week
6/30: Interesting Recap.  This schedule while busier – just has work & kids – it’s been “easier” to manage 

It was definitely hectic and to say that my to do list was long might be an understatement – well just look at page one of it. But things were getting checked off.    

Friday started with me cancelling a coffee date because of that list.  Laundry - check. Start packing – check.   The day moved on as normal. We were off to the gym at 4:30 for Friday Night Boot Camp (which is an absolutely amazing class by the way).   The class ran through the normal warm up.  I did a few things but my right leg was tight. Since I had subbed extra classes the day before, my legs were definitely tired.   SO I decided that for the rest of class, I was not going to participate in class but to coach and “take it easy”.  My class was playing bear crawl tag.  There was laughter and sweat – a great combo.  Through the round, as much as I wanted not to play, I found myself playing the game.   Soon they realized that I was fair game to be tagged. A quick step out of the way to avoid the tag then a big step and POP!   Several people heard the pop and some thought the floor board at broken.  The instance after the pop, I felt like something had kicked me in the back of my leg.  I looked to see what could had fallen on me then I knew.  My face said it all.    My left Achilles tendon had just ruptured.   The class stopped and I hopped to the front of the room.   After I had sat down, I told them to continue playing the game. 
Wrapped with ice
 The next hour was really a blur between instructing class, texting my family (remember my husband is in Nicaragua), and having other staff members come and check on me.   Comparably speaking to childbirth, the pain wasn’t awful.  It was a mix of throbbing and numbness.   When it throbbed, that was a 15+ on a scale of 0-10 for pain.    Class rapped up.  On a loaned pair of crutches, I exited through the back door. My sister was waiting for me and after a moment of hesitation (to take her car or mine) off we went in her car.   We just started driving with no idea where to go (we aren’t crazy about our local hospital).  My mind was racing and the thought to call the Institute of Foot and Ankle Reconstruction at Mercy Hospital in Baltimore.  I had seen a doctor there before.   Kathy and I started talking about where we were going to go – FMH, Mercy, and Carrol – with no decision we pulled off into the park-n-ride to formulate a game plan.  We conferenced called my other sister for extra input and decided to call Mercy.   Kimmi looked up the number for us and while we waiting for the phone number, I realized why I was hesitant not taking my car.  My wallet (licenses, medical card, etc.) was in my car.  With that realization, our game plan was done.   We would call Mercy, order dinner, run an errand, take dinner back to my parent’s house then head out to wherever we needed to.    In calling Mercy, we left a message for the on call doctor and off we went.    

Pizza ordered.  Kathy ran into Walmart and Safeway.   I tried calling my husband then sent him a text.  “IF you could call, that would be great.”   Also, I texted my friend Steph who partially ruptured her Achilles to get her take on it.   

You never know what you do in a situation until you are in the situation.  My mind was trying to prepare for what was next.  I’m a “fix-it” person.  If there is a problem, let’s figure out the plan and fix it.  It’s also hard for me at times because there are times when my gut says to do something but can’t explain why.  For example, the hesitation about which car to take.  My mind didn’t connect that my wallet was in the car but my gut knew.  

At my mom’s house, the plan wasn’t coming together because we had no clue where we wanted to go.  Steph said our local hospital had misdiagnosed her Achilles as a sprain.  “Don’t go there,” she said.    Where then? Was the question. Just as we were gearing up to go somewhere, a call from the 410 area code come in.  It was the on call doctor from Mercy Hospital calling me back.  
I explained the situation and our conversation went like this:
  •  “Do you have a boot?”   Yes   Do you have crutches?  Yes, then save your money, put yourself in a boot, stay off it and call us on Tuesday.
  • Then I told him that I was supposed to be leaving in 24 hours for our vacation. He was honest and said that I might have to cut my vacation short.
More conversations and I finally decided that I would go on vacation then fly home from NH if the doctor told me too. The kids spent the night at Grandma’s as planned (originally I had several client appointments scheduled the next morning) and I headed home. Mentally, my brain was on go mode to pack, finish laundry, clean … blah blah blah
Me and my backpack trying to do laundry for the trip

Quickly realized:   laundry was in the basement and I was on crutches.   I made it down the stairs to analyze the situation and realized that a backpack was going to be necessary for the things besides my textbooks.   I needed it to carry things around. 


Moved things around then decided it was best if I went to bed…  this was the start of a very long process.  

 

Looking Back:


If you would had asked me that day, I never would had guessed in a million years that my left Achilles tendon would rupture.   My right leg was tight but my left felt fine.   And while my left ankle constantly had problems,  the doctors always checked the achilles and said it felt fine.  Unfortunatley we will never know what actually caused it to blow, we are just left with lots of speculation.   

Functional for Life 

No comments:

Post a Comment